Corporation of the Village of McBride
Career Opportunity – Part-Time Public Works Operations Manager
The Village of McBride is seeking an experienced Public Works Operations Manager to join our team. Under the direction of the CAO, the Manager of Public Works (exempt) is responsible for the safe and efficient delivery of a range of services in the planning, organization, control, and direction of issues related to water, sewer, roads and drainage systems, solid waste, snow clearing operations, fleet and heavy equipment management, and maintenance of public infrastructure. The Public Works Operations Manager is a permanent part time position.
The Manager will provide leadership to ensure the Village’s infrastructure is well maintained through effective planning and maintenance and will coordinate with the CAO to prioritize the implementation of Capital Works projects.
As the Manager for operations, the successful candidate will be an extraordinarily trusted motivator and team leader with outstanding public relations capabilities and leadership skills. Duties will include:
- Professional and fiscal leadership that maintains, protects and reconstructs the roads and utility infrastructure for the Village of McBride
- Assist with preparing administer annual operational and capital budgets
- Develop implementation plans for emergency situations and perform impact assessment
- Recruit, develop and performance manage a safe and adequate staff within the diverse fields of Public Works, Utilities, and Fleet, including 24 hour and disaster response
- Plan and manage the ongoing work, activities and resources of all Public Works staff and assist with managing external public works related contracts
- Provide direction and approval of internal and external standards for safety, public health, infrastructure longevity, design standards and practices for a broad range of public work activities
- Ensure that effective coordination and planning for development and capital projects is maintained with the CAO and relevant consultants
- Develop procedure manuals, standard operating procedures and provide technical advice to CAO and consultants
- Oversee the planning and maintenance of all Village buildings
- Provide emergency operations management as a key member of the Village’s Emergency Operations Centre function
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required and shall not be construed as a detailed description of the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
It is envisioned that the successful candidate, in addition to possessing a Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, will possess a minimum 7 years progressive supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized local government setting. Key qualifications include:
- Seven plus years of progressive technical experience and responsibilities in a diversity of multidiscipline fields such as Water, Sewer, Roads, Drainage, Solid Waste, Fleet and Heavy Equipment;
- Demonstrated critical and public safety decision making for technical, operational and emergency situations;
- Proven experience utilizing standard computer software communication, email, and spreadsheet software programs;
- Experience with and certification with municipal water and wastewater systems is an asset;
- Willingness and ability to get training and certifications in water and wastewater systems is essential;
- Proven background in building construction with an emphasis on building maintenance;
- Exceptional leadership, communication skills and project management;
- Ability to troubleshoot difficult situations with concerned citizens.
The Village of McBride will consider a combination of education, training, and experience when selecting the successful candidate.
Compensation and Benefits
The Village of McBride offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package commensurate with experience and qualifications. If you are interested in this exciting career opportunity, please submit a covering letter and resume outlining your qualifications and experience, in confidence, no later Monday, June 22, 2020 at 5 pm to:
Sheila McCutcheon, CAO
Village of McBride
PO Box 519, 100 Robson Centre
McBride, BC V0J 2E0
Note: Employment with the Village of McBride is subject to the receipt of a satisfactory police information check as well as satisfactory driver’s abstract.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.